Considering thin client for your business, office or workplace? You wouldn’t be alone. Plenty of tech-savvy businesses are looking to this easy-to-manage solution for their workplaces. If you are considering thin client computing for your workplace then you’re in the right place to find out more; as we have created this short piece to help you to understand some of the key benefits.
What is thin client?
A thin client is a desktop terminal without a hard drive. Easy to use and install, the thin client is a screen just like a usual computer, except everything that you would usually find running on a self-contained PC is stored in a data centre. Thin clients are purpose-built to rely heavily on a remote data server to fulfill their computing role. With a thin client, if you are running a desktop protocol like Windows Terminal Services or Citrix, everything is stored in your data centre. The screen will display information routed from the server. When you combine a thin client with software services and backend hardware, you have thin client computing, which is a virtual desktop.
What can you use thin client computing for?
Thin clients are used to help offices and businesses to create a cost-effective and technologically advanced virtual desktop. If you need a cost-effective, secure, scalable, manageable and accessible solution for your IT needs, a thin client computing model might be just the thing your business needs to grow.
Benefits of Using Thin Clients
When you use a thin client computing setup for your business you are going to reaping a whole lot of benefits in terms of cost, scalability, and security. Listed below are thin client benefits:
- When you use thin client computing for your business you will enjoy the flexibility of a managed server which allows making updates to PCs a breeze. You don’t have to go around to every computer and install updates for software, for example – a single update can be done on the server and it’s simply a matter of restarting your computers.
- In many cases, you’ll only need one specialised cloud-based infrastructure expert to help you manage your entire office and business. You’ll also enjoy less downtime and increased productivity due to people not having computer malfunctions or problems with their individual PCs.
- Enjoy greater security due to the fact that thin clients are protected against viruses and attacks from localized PCs. In addition to this, data cannot be copied from a computer to a disk or saved at any location other than the server.
- Save money on computing costs due to only needing a core server and however many thin computer clients that you need.
- You can scale easily, and scale down if you need to as well without incurring a large cost due to unused equipment.
If you’re ready to get started with thin-client computing or would like to discuss any questions that this article might have raised for you, then please get in touch. We’d love to hear from you at 03 9626 4400 or contact us online.